"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Thursday, October 7, 2010

Vitamin D Deficiency Rampant In Patients Undergoing Orthopedic Surgery, Damaging Patient Recovery

Many years ago I was in a horrific car accident---broke both legs, crushed my right arm, and broke my pelvis in 23 places. I've had 15 orthopedic surgerys to get put back together, the last in 2002. This article from Medical News Today.net caught my eye----a study done to measure the frequency of Vitamin D deficiency in pre-operative orthopedic surgery patients. This may be of particular interest to those of you with parents/elderly relatives that are undergoing joint replacements or any other orthopedic surgery (and the incidence of Vitamin D deficiency in older people is very high).

Fall here in the Carolinas is just gorgeous --- today it's sunny, mild and the high will be in the 70's! Even though the days are short enough now that I can't get adequate Vitamin D from the sun....I'm going to sit out for a while this afternoon in the sun and fresh air---it's good for the soul. Enjoy the rest of your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment