"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Monday, November 22, 2010

Genetics Determine Winter Vitamin D Status

When I saw Dr. Carr a couple weeks ago, one of the things I was most interested in was my Vitamin D level. It was very low last spring (30 ng/mL) despite faithfully downing 5000 IUs of Vitamin D3 daily (I use the Ortho Molecular brand). I upped the dose to 10000 IUs for 60 days, and this summer I was busy out in my condo pool (outdoors) at least 4 days a week, so I knew I was getting additional supplementation from the sun. My latest lab level shows that I have more than doubled my level to 62, but I am still a bit below the optimal level of 70-100 ng/mL. Rats. Back to 10000 IUs daily through the winter.

This article from MedicalNewsToday.com caught my eye this morning ----the study results indicate that our winter Vitamin D levels are more the restult of our genetics, whereas our summer results are more influenced by our lifestyle choices (sun exposure, etc.) I moved to NC in 2004 from Upstate NY partially because I could no longer take the dreary, gray, long winters up north---my depression issues would get way worse in the winter time (this was before I got my hormones balanced----I had been on antidepressants for at least 10 years before that). Living here in Charlotte, the sun in the wintertime still doesn't give me adequate Vitamin D levels without supplementation, but our winters are generally pretty mild with a fair number of sunny days, so I can get out most days and not get holed up in the house (I don't mind one "in" day because of weather, but more than two and I start getting very antsy---not to mention wanting to scarf down junk food!).

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment