"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Thursday, November 18, 2010

How to Sleep Through Menopause

Even with hormonal balance, my sleep is not quite where I would like it to be, but far better than it was. I share that issue with a huge percentage of menopausal women---and next to hot flashes, sleep disturbances are the most common complaint I hear from my "hormonal" readers.

Check out this new article by Saness Jonekos from The HuffingtonPost.com. One of the points that struck me is that many menopausal women (including the author) have not discussed their sleep disturbances with their doctor. You are paying your practitioner to take care of you---there should be no topic concerning your health that you do not feel comfortable talking about. Sleep is hugely important to your physical and mental well being---I cannot overemphasize this point enough ----- and believe me, I speak from first hand experience! The article also has some good tips for what is known as "sleep hygeine"---keeping the room dark and cool, don't exercise too close to bedtime, things like that. I take Melatonin every night, and it has helped me (along with the balanced hormones) far more than any of the prescription meds I used to take (and with no side effects, something none of the sleeping meds can claim).

Sweet dreams to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment