"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Thursday, March 22, 2012

5 Surprising Ways Naps Improve Your Health

Full disclosure, I am not a napper.  Unless I am dealing with a higher level of back pain and need extra med (or a muscle relaxant), I don't get sleepy during the day, nor do I feel the need to sleep.  I think the progesterone gives me so much more energy that I'm just not inclined to nap.  I also find that if I do nap it disrupts my sleep at night. 

However, I know that many patients in the peri/menopausal transition either do nap or wish they could nap.  I ran across this article from MSNHealth.com on five health benefits derived from regular napping.  Pay particular attention to paragraph 12 (discusses testosterone levels in young men and their level of sleep)-----I wonder if it's because men who don't get enough sleep are likely to be more stressed, therefore burning through their hormones faster.  Stress will make anyone burn through hormones faster, and I am living proof.  If my stress level gets too high (either from emotional stress or the physical stress of chronic pain) you can see it in my blood levels..