"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Tuesday, June 30, 2009

DEXA Testing----

I just had a bone density test about three weeks ago (I get the results on Friday, and will let you know how they went, this is the first one I have had since being on BHRT) so this article on the Medical News Today website piqued my interest. Based on research in both the US and Australia, the researchers argue that the expense of frequently testing menopausal women on osteoporosis drugs is not worth the cost involved because nearly all of the women tested showed only a slight increase in bone density, and the amount of increase was pretty much the same across the board. The patients in the study were tested every year, and I know Medicare will only pay for testing every other year. This, like so much in healthcare today, is something to think about and consider. Read the article and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment