"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The secret to the super memory club

The mental challenge and social aspect of daily bridge games help these 90-somethings stay sharp – and scientists are noticing.

By Benedict CareyNew York Times
Posted: Monday, Jun. 08, 2009

LAGUNA WOODS, Calif.

The ladies in the card room are playing bridge, and, at their age, the game is no hobby. It is a way of life, a daily comfort, challenge and communal campfire.
“We play for blood,” says Ruth Cummins, 92, before taking a sip of Red Bull at a recent game. Click here to read the rest of the article...

Alzheimer's Association: www.alz.org.

Note from Andrea: The husband of one of my friends was recently diagnosed with dementia, and so my interest in this subject is even more acute now than it ever was. I am heartened by the fact that my mother, who passed away in 1998 at 78 had a better memory than me until the morning she passed! OK, I get it, keep the mind active, be social----now, can I start taking off the costs of my knitting supplies, mileage to my knitting groups, my beading supplies and lunches with my friends as medical expenses??????

No comments:

Post a Comment