"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Breast Changes Normal and Abnormal

Yes, I am well aware there are a lot of posts this month about breast health----it's breast cancer awareness month and my news feeds have been full of articles on all aspects of the breasts. I thought this one from Bella Online was pretty informative---it discusses which breast changes at various stages of our lives are normal, and which aren't and need to be checked out. One note of interest: My breasts were always very lumpy/cystic, and were made even worse because I have not had children. Mammograms were painful, to put it mildly! Within three months of going on the progesterone cream, all of the lumpiness went away, it was amazing to feel the difference when I was doing monthly self exams (you are doing those, right?????) One more benefit of BHRT!

Good thing I took my Vitamin D3 today, as I sure am not going to get my daily dose from the sun----I have a lunch date at noon, and this afternoon will be perfect for curling up with a good book and/or my knitting (any of my blog readers knitters?) Remember, Dr. Khalsa says anyone living above the southern 1/3 of the nation (and the cutoff point for those of you on the East Coast is Charlotte) will never be able to get adequate Vitamin D from the sun from October though March----and Vitamin D does help with seasonal affective disorder (God, I wish I had known that when I lived in Upstate NY!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm a knitter!

    I've been on bioidentical progesterone for about 5 months now and I've noticed quite an (unwanted!) increase in my breast size. Now that's a side effect I did not expect.

    I've heard that indoor tanning causes the body to produce vitamin D and also helps lessen SAD. Personally I think it's safe when done in MODERATION, not to the excess that you often see.

    ReplyDelete