"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Thursday, October 29, 2009

Portage pharmacist touts 'bioidentical' hormones

This article came across my newsfeed from the Kalamazoo, MI newspaper. It's interesting reading from several aspects:

  • The woman patient featured in the story---her doctor is upfront in admitting he doesn't know much about BHRT and is wary of prescribing them
  • This is a case where a pharmacist is making "recommendations" to a woman's prescribing physician----I'm not too sure how I feel about this.
  • "It's impossible to say if these hormones are helping or hurting premenopausal or menopausal women". Oh, come on, there a ton of research studies out there that support the safely and efficacy of BHRT.
  • "They can be quite expensive and not covered by insurance". Depends on the hormone/dosage/pharmacy. My insurance company does cover part of the cost (after a protracted fight) --- and they are a hell of a lot cheaper than the $750 my insurance company was paying MONTHLY for the 7 medications I am no longer on.

No comments:

Post a Comment