"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Study Uncovers Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Risk Factors

I had noticed that a lot of women around my age had developed carpal tunnel syndrome, but I always attributed it to advancing age and too many years on the computer. This study, detailed in this article from EHSToday.com, outlines some of the risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome, and one seems to be menopause. It would be interesting to study this further and see if there is a hormonal connection to carpal tunnel syndrome. As a side note, I have noticed that the function in my wrists is much better since I have been on BHRT (probably a reduction of the inflammation in my wrists). My right arm was crushed in a car accident years ago, and for many years I walked (all the time) with a cane in my left hand. Both left my wrists painful. I have little problems with my wrists now-----and trust me, I use my hands a lot, I am a voracious knitter and do a lot fussy craft work like jewelry making. Something I need to ask my doctor about next time I talk to him!

No comments:

Post a Comment