"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Andrea's Favourite Books!!!!!

Hi everyone, I have had a very busy day, but very exciting. First off, the blog has had nearly 500 hits today and I can't tell you how happy that makes me, I am absolutely determined I am going to hormonally balance the world one woman at a time!!!!!! I have personally answered over 30 emails today, and I loved it. Keep those emails coming!

Secondly, I posted last night on Dr. Phil's website a list of the books that I most often recommend to people wanting to learn more about bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. There are a lot of books out there, but these are my favourites:

  • A Woman's Guide to Natural Hormones by Christine Conrad
  • Dr. John Lee's Hormone Balance Made Simple - Dr. John Lee and Virginia Hopkins
  • *What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause - Dr. John Lee
  • *What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Perimenopause - Dr. John Lee
  • Thyroid Power by Richard L. Shames, MD, and K Shames, RN

*These two books have a lot of similar information, choose the one most appropriate for your stage of hormonal life

I've gotten several queries today about why I do not include Suzanne Somer's books in my list of favourites. While I admire Ms. Somer's dedication to advocating bioidentical hormone therapy for women (and men), I have found her protocol to be somewhat over the top. My view is shared by a number of doctors who are quite well known in the field. She advocates using the Wiley Protocol, which is very controversial, and is a proponent of women who haven't had a period in years taking such high levels of estrogen that they restart their menses in their 50's and 60's. I do tell women that if they wish to do extensive research into BHRT to look at her books because they are an example of one end of the spectrum, but for a woman who just wants to get a basic knowledge of how bioidentical hormone therapy works, it's efficacy and safely, there are better resources out there.

Have a great night, everyone, I'm going to put the computer to bed and then head off for some sleep myself. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment