"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Saturday, April 25, 2009

I just posted this on the Dr. Phil Show website:

This is a heavily edited list of common side effects of five of the most popular antidepressant medications:

Decreased interest in sexual intercourse

Dizziness

Dry mouth

heartburn

inability to have or keep an erection

increased sweating

loss of sexual ability, desire, drive or performance

nausea

sleepiness or unusual drowsiness

sleeplessness

general feeling of discomfort or illness

headache

joint pain

muscle aches and pains

not able to have orgasm

unusual tiredness

nervousness

trembling

body aches

change in sense of taste

changes in vision

confusion

congestion

discouragement, feeling sad or empty

drugged feeling

feeling of warmth or heat

flushing or redness of skin, especially on face and neck

frequent urge to urinate

heavy bleeding

irritability

lack of emotion

loss of interest or pleasure

menstrual pain or cramps

severe sunburn

trouble concentrating

Yawn

One of the things I have noticed throughout the message board is that so many women/men are absolutely frustrated (with good reason) because they go to their doctor with menopausal symptoms, and the doctor hands them a prescription for an anti-depressant. I know how you feel, because over the last 15 or so years, I have been on Paxil, Wellbutrin, Celexa, Effexor, and Lexapro (and I think another one too, but I've lost track).

So I thought this evening I would go on one of the popular and respected websites, the Mayo Clinic, and take a look at what are some of the side effects of these medications (a lot of them I knew because I had experienced a bunch of them). I used as a base the antidepressants listed above, and for each one I cut and pasted the side effects (just the common ones, I didn't even add in the rare ones!) and the total document I had on my Word progam------for five medications --------- was ------ wait for it------14 pages long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy whatever! So many of the side effects are exactly the symptoms of menopause, so --------- well, think about it! I am posting a list (just the highlights, I am not going to take up too much room with it in one post) on my blog holyhormones.blogspot.com, or do a little research and see what I mean. Use one of the medical websites like Web MD (the only thing is it sometimes loads quite slowly) or the Mayo Clinic, there are also others out there.

Now, it is extremely important to note, you NEVER, EVER, EVER go off a medication like an antidepessant (well, actually, ANY medication) without supervision from a doctor!!!!!!!!! Never, never, never. Knowing about the side effects, however, can make you a more informed patient and consumer, and talking to your doctor honestly and articulately can have a world of benefit to your health. No two patients react to a medication the same way, and your doctor doesn't know how the med affects you unless you tell him/her. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Do you know anything about Divigel? My dr. just prescribed it for me--

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know that Peta and many organizations say that horses are abused/tortured in the manufacture of Premarin (from Pregnant Mare's Urine)?

    ReplyDelete