"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Friday, August 28, 2009

How to Get Your Natural Desiccated Thyroid Drug Prescription Filled

I take two different thyroid medications----a compounded T3 preparation, and for my T4 thyroid hormone I take Levoxyl (and I take the brand name, I recently learned that for some people the brand name is preferable to the generic in terms of efficacy, and although it is a little more expensive----several dollars per month is all-----it's worth it). I've never taken Armour thyroid hormone, but a lot of people do, and there is widespread concern because there have been numerous problems with patients getting prescriptions filled. I asked my local pharmacist about it out of curiousity, and he just groaned and rolled his eyes-----said it was terrible having to send patients to another pharmacy because he couldn't fill all the orders coming in. Mary Shomon, who is a terrific resource to learn more about thyroid conditions, posted this article outlining tips to find ways to get your Armour prescription filled. Have a great weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Armour (or any other natural desiccated thyroid hormone - compounded included) is FAR superior to ANY synthetic hormone in treatment of hypothyroidism. Unfortunately, I had to find this out the HARD way - 20 years of taking synthetics that did me absolutely NO good whatsoever. Plus, the added aggravation of having a doc (endocrinologist) who tests for TSH (Completely irrelevant means of checking thyroid function/levels). And by the time I was 38 I was almost not functioning at all. 10 minutes outdoors with my son and it would take DAYS for me to recuperate. Hair loss up the wazoo (and clogged drains to go with it)... No. I'm not going into the LONG drawn-out list of symptoms I had. But, I will tell you this: ONE WEEK after being on Armour and I FELT a TON better. Symptoms subsided over time. But, I started feeling better almost immediately. BIG HUGE difference. Synthetics are JUNK. I am NOT alone, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first started treatment for hypothyroidism, I had to switch my dosage to natural thyroid supplements . My hypothyroid started to stabilize.

    ReplyDelete