"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sleep issues?

One of the most frequent complaints I hear from women in hormone transition, whether they are having night sweats or not, is "I can't sleep!" I know exactly how it feels, because there was a time before BHRT that I thought I would never, ever get a decent night's sleep. The hormones helped considerably, and of course, having more energy meant I was more active during the day, which of course meant more worn out at night, which I know also helped........and so on.

For years, I went from one sleeping medication to another, with very little result (and some of those meds were wickedly expensive!!!!!!) After I had been on the hormones for a month or so, my doctor suggested that I give melatonin another try--------and without a doubt, it has helped me more than any of the sleeping medications ever did.

Now, that being said, being hormonally balanced made a huge difference too, but this is one more thing to add to your arsenal of things to try out. Melatonin is cheap, and available almost everywhere (I get mine at Walgreen's when they have buy one get one free-----I think it's about $5 for a bottle of 100 tablets, something like that. Melatonin has a number of health benefits, check out this article from IHealth. Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment