"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Monday, May 11, 2009

Protein Shake "Recipes"

I've posted several times on message boards and probably on the blog that my normal breakfast is a protein shake before I go to the YMCA for my workout. I've had a few emails asking me if the protein shakes taste good (they do, they are not a Wendy's Frosty, but certainly palatable), how do I prepare them, and what kind of protein powder do I use.

I have been using GNC protein powder, my favourite flavours are banana and chocolate caramel. It also comes in vanilla, cookies and cream, strawberry, plain chocolate, and a couple other berry flavours. I use the regular whey protein powder, not the super juiced up stuff. It does have a bit of sugar in it, but it's a balance between a little sugar and artificial sweetener (I still drink too much diet soda, I'm working on it). Stay away from cheap stuff like from Walmart, the taste will turn you right off.

To make the shake, combine two scoops of protein powder, about 3/4 cup combined crushed ice and cold water (I have a dispenser on the door of my fridge that crushes the ice for me), and a splash of half and half (it's about 1 oz.). Throw everything in the blender, then I add a couple tablespoons of Fiber Sure (I'm not as good on veggies as I need to be, so this is a bit of extra daily fiber). Hit the blend button, and about 30 seconds later-----voila! It holds me until lunch easily, and works out to be about 280 or so calories.

You can get fancy and add some flavourings, in the Fall I get some of the vanilla powder, mix it up the usual way with some cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice, and yummy-----a pumpkin shake. Some people add fruit, I do this time of year to vanilla because local strawberries are in season here.

Since I don't like to cook, this is a quick and easy way to get one meal a day out of the way. I even have two blenders so if I decide I want a second shake to replace a second meal (sometimes in the summer when it's hot), I don't need to clean out the first blender to do it (I can be lazy sometimes). The other big advantage to having a protein shake for breakfast is it gives me something thick to wash down my vitamins and supplements with, they go down easier with a thicker liquid.

Have a great day, everyone, take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment