"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Saturday, May 30, 2009

There's a gender difference in losing weight

There are a variety of excuses as to why losing weight can be a daunting challenge for women. But women can and do lose weight.
By Cindy Boggs

CHARLESTON, W.Va. --

Dear Cindy,
Why is it that men can lose weight faster than women? When my husband and I diet, we eat the same foods and it falls off of him. With me, I am lucky to lose half of what he does. We both exercise. I walk every evening (briskly) and he doesn't work out at all except that his work (he's is a contractor) does keep him active. I am so frustrated with my results. Can you help? -- Jill
Dear Jill,
Your question reminds me of a commercial I've seen depicting dieting cartoon male and female figures. She complains that when her husband diets, he becomes a stick figure and she basically stays the same. It is frustrating to witness men and women on the same weight-loss program with equal dedication turn out very different degrees of success.
But there are several reasonable explanations for the inconsistency in weight loss between men and women. To lose weight, you have to create a negative calorie balance - you must expend more than you consume. Click here to continue reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment