"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Friday, May 15, 2009

Salon Magazine Vs. Oprah Winfrey

Sometimes we all need to be reminded that not every person in the world is a big fan of Oprah Winfrey. She certainly has her detractors at Salon Magazine, an article about how her show treats medical issues is featured on the front page of the magazine's website.....click here to read it!

I wrote a "letter" (that's how Salon Magazine refers to its reader comments) that is now appearing on the website under my Holyhormones name. I've been pretty blunt here on the blog that I think Oprah, Dr. Phil, and "The Doctors" TV shows have all done a substandard job of presenting bioidentical hormone replacement therapy as little more than a chance for some celebrities to shill their books. I think all four shows did little to dispel the myths that BHRT is something that is available to wealthy women and that the only place to obtain treatment for BHRT is fancy women's clinics in CA. I have answered over 80 emails in the last few weeks from women who have had very valid, legitimate concerns and questions about bioidentical hormone therapy ------------ concerns that could very easily have been covered in one or more of these shows had they not been so busy gushing over celebrities. Keep those questions coming, if the shows don't want to cover actual information like finding a compounding pharmacy, a doctor, and recommending books written BY MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS, I am happy to do it to the extent I am able.

Salon covered how Oprah has dealt with thyroid issues on her show, and again, it was way less than complimentary. I don't watch Oprah very often (almost never unless the show is on BHRT) but I have read several web articles that indicate her message to women was not medically sound. In addition to the hormonal imbalance, I am being treated for hypothyroidism, I take Levoxyl and a compounded T3 preparation --------- works great!

Go read the article, then come back and post your opinion in the comments section. Have a great Friday everyone-------it's cloudy and humid here in Charlotte. I am off to the pool for my water aerobics class, and then I have about 10 little projects lined up for this afternoon, including catching up on a few emails for the blog.

2 comments:

  1. I agree about leaving us (normal people) in the shadows about how to deal with BHRT. I know I was salivating at the celebs saying how they were relieved of the symptoms with BHRT, when I feel like menopause is draining the life right out of me. I do not have money, nor insurance...but I stretched myself for a saliva test with http://www.salivatest.com/ and will let you know if I find relief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because a patient with an underactive thyroid tends to have a very low basal metabolic rate, one of the most noticeable symptoms of hypothyroidism is weight gain and difficulty losing extra weight. Hypothyroidism is curable, but it requires strong will power to improve one's health. It is good to know that porcine thyroid can help ease hypothyroidism.

    ReplyDelete