"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Science of Sleep

For many menopausal women, sleep is a huge issue! I have struggled with it for years, even before menopause, because of a chronic pain condition from a car accident in 1992. This article talks about the science of sleep , it's got some pretty good information to learn more about insomnia. One caveat, however, one does not always need prescription sleeping pills to alleviate the problem, and in some cases, long term use of prescription meds can make the problem worse. I take 5 mg of Melatonin each night, it isn't perfect, but lots better (and way, way cheaper) than the Ambien I used to take. There is another product out there that my doctor recommends, it's called Nature ZZZZs, I had so so results but everyone is different.

1 comment:

  1. My husband just read - in trying to find a solution for my sleeplessness that magnesium chloride found in sea salt is good for menopausal insomnia.Have you heard of this?
    I am going to do a bit more research to find out if it is available in a supplement so I don't have to overdue the salt just to get to sleep.

    ReplyDelete