"Treat the disease, you win some, you lose some. Treat the patient, you always win."
~Patch Adams~



Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I am playing a bit of "hookey" today!









I am a huge believer in taking care of the mind as well as the body (and I really need to do a better job with the body---I'm working on it!) The weather here in the Southeast was miserable for over a week, but autumn is one of my favourite times of the year here---usually the days are sunny and mild, and the mornings and evenings are cool. This week the weather has just been gorgeous, and since I am originally from an area where the weather isn't too great---I try never to waste a glorious day like today!
I decided to take a little break from the routine and take a "road trip". The Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens in Belmont, NC (about a 50 minute drive for me) is an absolute treasure here in the Piedmont. I go twice a year, in April for the spring flowers, and in late September/early October to see the butterfly exhibit. I have a new digital camera that was given to me, and I had an absolutely marvelous time taking pictures of all of the beautiful exhibits.....I was somewhat surprised when I got home that I had taken well over 200 pictures in less than 2 1/2 hours! I edited down the bunch to about 125, and just sent files of 100+ pictures over to have a print made of each------I make notecards with my flower prints, and when I pick the pictures up then I can look them over and decide which ones I want to get made into multiple prints (when they go on sale for 10 cents a print!). Next Tuesday I am going with a group of ladies to a rose garden here in Charlotte (and yes, actually roses bloom the most beautifully here in NC in October--who knew?)
While these flower pictures may not have a lot to do with hormones-----I certainly feel more balanced after spending several hours in such a beautiful setting and walking around outdoors (I definitely got my dose of Vitamin D today) in the sunshine. I also know that when I work on making my notecards, it relaxes me and releases endorphins, and it balances mind and body. Take a bit of time to do something for yourself today, take a walk, enjoy a flower, or do something with your hands----for me it's crafting my cards, or as most of you know, I am also a voracious knitter! Have a great day, I may be back with an article post later, if not, I will be back on track tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment